God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Reinhold Niebuhr
There are two things infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein
It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer. Albert Einstein
Don't be afraid of hard work. Nothing worthwhile comes easily. Don't let others discourage you or tell you that you can't do it. In my day I was told women didn't go into chemistry. I saw no reason why we couldn't. — Gertrude B. Elion
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pine
When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion. Dale Carnegie
There are no secrets to success, it is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure. Colin Powell
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be. Abraham Lincoln
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will. Vince Lombardi
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. Zig Ziglar
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." Albert Einstein
Always do more than is expected of you. George Patton
It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference. Bear Bryant
If, in some cataclysm, all of scientific knowledge were to be destroyed, and only one sentence passed on to the next generation of creatures, what statement would contain the most information in the fewest words? I believe it is the atomic hypothesis, that all things are made of atoms -- little particles that move around in perpetual motion, attracting each other when they are a little distance apart, but repelling upon being squeezed into one another. In that one sentence, you will see, there is an enormous amount of information about the world, if just a little imagination and thinking are applied. Richard Feynman
Good Quotes that are not Einstein's
- Control your 'self' so others won't have to do it for you.
- Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
- If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes.
- Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.
- Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.
- It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.
- If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
- Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.
- For an athlete to function properly, he must be intent. There has to be a definite purpose and goal if you are to progress. If you are not intent about what you are doing, you aren't able to resist the temptation to do something else that might be more fun at the moment.
- Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.
- No matter what happens, how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.
- You can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles four things: a rainy day, the elderly, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
- Even when I have pains, I don't have to be one.
- Making a 'living' is not the same thing as making a 'life...'
- You shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands.
- You need to be able to throw something back sometimes.
- If you pursue happiness, it will elude you but,
- if you focus on your family, your friends, the needs of others,
- your work and doing the very best you can, happiness will find you.
- Whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.
Chemistry / Science Quotes:
- Better Things for Better Living Through Chemistry. — Advertising campaign slogan for the DuPont Company from 1935.
- Chlorine is a deadly poison gas employed on European battlefields in World War I. Sodium is a corrosive metal which burns upon contact with water. Together they make a placid and unpoisonous material, table salt. Why each of these substances has the properties it does is a subject called chemistry. — Carl Sagan
- Everyone who receives a liberal education today counts chemistry among the most essential parts of his studies. — Comte de Antoine Francois Fourcroy
- Chemistry is the dirty part of physics. — Johann Philipp Reis
- Chemistry has been termed by the physicist as the messy part of physics, but that is no reason why the physicists should be permitted to make a mess of chemistry when they invade it. — Frederick Soddy
- Chemistry without catalysis, would be a sword without a handle, a light without brilliance, a bell without sound. — Alwin Mittasch
- Chemistry: that most excellent child of intellect and art. — Cyril Norman Hinshelwood
- Chemistry...is like the maid occupied with daily civilisation; she is busy with fertilisers, medicines, glass, insecticides...for she dispenses the recipes. — Jean Jacques
- Even mistaken hypotheses and theories are of use in leading to discoveries. This remark is true in all the sciences. The alchemists founded chemistry by pursuing chimerical problems and theories which are false. In physical science, which is more advanced than biology, we might still cite men of science who make great discoveries by relying on false theories. It seems, indeed, a necessary weakness of our mind to be able to reach truth only across a multitude of errors and obstacles. — Claude Bernard
- I do not know if I am mistaken, but it seems that one can obtain more truths, important to Humanity, from Chemistry than from any other Science. — Samuel Hahnemann
- I took biology in high school and didn't like it at all. It was focused on memorization. ... I didn't appreciate that biology also had principles and logic ... [rather than dealing with a] messy thing called life. It just wasn't organized, and I wanted to stick with the nice pristine sciences of chemistry and physics, where everything made sense. I wish I had learned sooner that biology could be fun as well. — Francis S. Collins
- Chemistry works with an enormous number of substances, but cares only for some few of their properties; it is an extensive science. Physics on the other hand works with rather few substances, such as mercury, water, alcohol, glass, air, but analyses the experimental results very thoroughly; it is an intensive science. Physical chemistry is the child of these two sciences; it has inherited the extensive character from chemistry. Upon this depends its all-embracing feature, which has attracted so great admiration. But on the other hand it has its profound quantitative character from the science of physics. — Svante Arrhenius
- One of the first things a boy learns with a chemistry set is that he'll never get another one. — Anonymous
- Many more chemistry quotes at Today in Sci - http://todayinsci.com/QuotationsCategories/C_Cat/Chemistry-Quotations.htm
One final Quote: I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.