Non-Traditional Day—Snow Day
Metcalfe County Schools will again participate in Non-Traditional Make-Up Days this school year. Several other school districts across the state of Kentucky, have decided to pursue this academic avenue as well in order to help alleviate some of the burden that snow days can cause. The state department of education has again approved our plan for Metcalfe County Schools allowing us to make-up ten school days using the Non-Traditional Day state guidelines as we did last year. We learned a lot from our experience last year. Adjustments were made to the process during the time we missed and we hope to have an even better implementation this year.
Metcalfe County High School will participate in the Non-Traditional Instruction Day as follows:
- CANVAS LMS—This is a website that students can access through our district web sitehttp://www.metcalfe.kyschools.us/, by clicking on the Canvas link, and logging in to their individual account. Teachers have created lessons and assignments for students in the CANVAS website. By using this technology, our students will be able to continue with on-going learning on days that school is dismissed. Please work with us in helping to create a new innovative way to teach students.
- Once students log into canvas, their assignments will be listed for each class. Students have practiced this already in the school setting, and assignments for each class have already been completed. Ideally, on a snow day, students would log into their CANVAS account and complete the assignments made for that day.
- We understand that Internet access is a struggle for some of our students. In order to accommodate our students, they will have the next two days that school is in session for each day missed to make up work through Canvas at school. For example, if we missed school on Monday, January 9, student Canvas assignments would be accepted until midnight on Wednesday January 11 giving students two school days after to finish the work. Students have access to computers before school beginning at 7:10, and we have 21st Century from 3-5 Monday – Thursday. Besides these out of school opportunities, students have other chances to use technology throughout the school day.
- If for some reason students are not able to complete assignments in the CANVAS format, we are prepared to make allowances and come up with a compromise that will work for each student. Students should communicate this to their teachers as soon as possible, so the teacher can work with the student to provide alternate assignments.
- Teachers will be available on Non-Traditional Instruction Days from 7:30-3:00 through school email for students who have questions. If students send a message through CANVAS, it will go to the teacher’s email.